The Create Water function is a tool within the Water area of the HOME tab. It is used to create Water items by selecting an elevation level that the water item will be created at within the Viewport. Water items can then used in more advanced analysis of calculating water volumes, or modify water in the Elevation terrain.
Quick usage guide
- Click on the Create Water button to enable create water mode
- Within the Viewport click once with the left-mouse button on the terrain at the desired elevation level of the water item
- A Water Item will be created at that elevation throughout the project and can now be modified or used in further analysis by selecting it and navigating to the SELECTION - TOOLS menu
How it works
- Once the Create Water tool is selected Create Water mode is enabled and a gray box will appear next to your mouse cursor displaying the elevation at your mouse location. Left-mouse clicking at that location will create a Water Item at that elevation that can then be selected to perform additional functions from the water item Selections - Tools.
- When created, Water items form a continuous flat plane throughout the entire project. The plane represents water at a standing elevation, as water is generally flat. This can be seen as the blue color of the Water item outside of the Image terrain (orthomosaic) and within the Image terrain at elevations where the water level are higher than Elevation terrain. As water is relatively flat when contained.
- Water items have 3 SELECTION TOOLS options that can be applied to them.
- The Clip function allows you to remove unwanted areas of the Water item (such as the areas outside of the Boundary item, or in this case the area surrounding the reservoir). It is enabled by selecting both the Water item and the Boundary item you wish to clip to and opening the SELECTION - TOOLS menu.
- Water Level allows you to set the elevation of the Water item. You can increase or decrease it with the arrows, or by typing in a desired water level.
- Intersect Terrain will create Boundary or Polyline item(s) at the intersection of the Water item and the Elevation terrain. Boundary items can then be used to create a Surface from which volumes of water can be calculated.
Most common uses
- Measuring volume of liquid retention areas such as reservoirs, drainage ponds, fracking pools & more.
- Outlining water areas in your data to clear it of noise in the Elevation terrain as a result of the photogrammetry.
- Flooding simulation.
Tips and Tricks
- Complex water bodies may not always be continuous, or have other water artifacts. Use the Boundary SELECTION - TOOLS to modify your intersection boundary!
- Water items are currently designed to measure standing water. Measuring moving water over varying terrain with a Water item is not currently a recommended workflow.