When you are creating a subscription, you might encounter a situation where you get a message "VAT number is not valid" while you use that VAT number in your own country without any problem.
- This is because your VAT number is not registered for intra-community trade.
- When you are a company based in any of the 28 countries of the European Union and you want to buy a Virtual Surveyor subscription then you need to be registered for EU intra-community trade. If you haven't done this registration, we will not be able to activate your subscription.
- In most EU countries, a company is typically registered for EU intra-community trade at the moment the VAT number is issued. This is not the case for all countries. We know that for Spain, Italy and Portugal this registration has to be done separately. It might be applicate for other countries as well.
How do we check that your company is registered for EU intra-community trade?
- EU companies that are registered for EU intra-community trade will appear in VIES: VAT Information Exchange System.
- When you create your first subscription, we will verify the VAT number that you specify and compare to what's available in VIES through a webservice.
Why do we verify your VAT is in VIES?
- We check this because it is required by law.
- Virtual Surveyor is a B2B company. This means we only trade with other businesses and not with consumers.
- In the EU you are classified as a company if you have a valid VAT number, hence we need to verify this.
What is the solution?
- Contact your local tax or VAT office and register your current VAT number for intra-community trade.
What about other countries outside of the European Union?
- You don't need to worry.
- We will not ask you for a VAT number because this only applies to the European Union.