The Extract Boundary tool creates a boundary from the edges of a surface. The boundary will be a newly created item and the original surface item will remain unchanged. The Extract Boundary tool only works on the selected surface item (or items) and appears in the TOOLS tab. When multiple surfaces are selected, the operation is done sequentially for each surface.
Note: When you have holes in your surface, a boundary is created for the holes as well. For such cases, the output will be multiple boundaries (for the inner and outer edges).
- Select your surface.
- Go to the TOOLS tab.
- Click Extract Boundary in the Create group.
- Your boundary will be created.
You can use Extract Boundary, when you want to create a surface from your drone data that matches exactly with the extent of an earlier surface. In this case, you can:
- Select the original surface
- Click Extract Boundary
- Drape the extracted boundary to the new terrain with Densify
- Create your new survey within that boundary
- Finally, select the extracted boundary and Triangulate Within