Virtual Surveyor is designed for working in projected coordinate systems. Virtual Surveyor sets the coordinate system from the first dataset you add. You can also change the set coordinate system. It is important to set the appropriate coordinate system as all your data will be exported in this coordinate system.
You can also set a local coordinate system in case your initial dataset has no coordinate system.
- Initial Coordinate System
- Change the Coordinate System
- Local Coordinate System
- Custom Coordinate System
Initial Coordinate System
A new project contains no data and has no coordinate system set. It shows UNDEFINED as in the illustration below.
Virtual Surveyor will automatically set a coordinate system based on the first dataset you add to your project. The set coordinate system appears on the lower left side of the status menu.
You can change the project coordinate system if you want to work in another system other than your initial dataset.
Change the Coordinate System
Change the coordinate system if you need a more accurate dataset.
- Click on Project Coordinate System in the Status Bar of Virtual Surveyor.
- Type the name or EPSG code of the coordinate system in the window that pops up.
- Click Apply to set the new coordinate system.
- All your data will be reprojected to this coordinate system.
Local Coordinate System
- Virtual Surveyor allows you to set a local coordinate system for your project.
- Type "Local" in the search box and the possible options will appear.
- You can set a local coordinate system in metric or imperial units.
Custom Coordinate System
- It is not possible to set a custom coordinate system in Virtual Surveyor.
- Virtual Surveyor shows UNDEFINED when you use a coordinate system that is not supported.
- Even with an undefined coordinate system, you can use all but the reprojection functionality of Virtual Surveyor.
- We recommend setting the Display Units if you know the unit system (meter or feet).