You always need to work in an appropriate coordinate system. Virtual Surveyor allows you to set or change this coordinate system for your project.
Virtual Surveyor is designed for working in projected coordinate systems and you can select from a wide range of systems in metric and imperial units. You can also set a local coordinate system.
Change the coordinate system
Virtual Surveyor will set a coordinate system automatically based on the first dataset you add to your project. However, that coordinate system might not be the coordinate system you want to work in.
This section explains you how to change the coordinate system step-by-step.
- Click on Project Coordinate System in the status bar of your desktop application.
- Type the name or EPSG code of the coordinate system in the window that pops up.
- Click Apply to set the new coordinate system.
- All your data will be reprojected to this coordinate system.
Set Coordinate System in an Empty Project
You can also set the coordinate system before you add your first file to the project.
- Once you have created your new (empty) project, you will see UNDEFINED as the Project Coordinate System in the status bar.
- Click here and the coordinate system search box will popup.
- Type the name or EPSG code of the coordinate system as in the previous case and click Apply.
- You have set a coordinate system for your project.
- All the data that you add to your project, will be reprojected to the coordinate system that you have just set.
Note: All your output files (.dxf, .csv, .xml, shp, tif) will be in the coordinate system that you have set for your project.
Local Coordinate System
- Virtual Surveyor allows you to set a local coordinate system for your project.
- You can set a local coordinate system in metric or imperial units.
Note: Local coordinate systems have no reprojection functionality.
Custom Coordinate System
- It is not possible to set a custom coordinate system in Virtual Surveyor.
- Virtual Surveyor will show UNDEFINED in case you use a coordinate system that is not supported.
- Even with an undefined coordinate system, you can use all but the reprojection functionality of Virtual Surveyor.
- We recommend to set the Display Units if you know the unit system (meter or feet).