Virtual Surveyor includes triangulation tools that allow the user to create surface from currently enabled survey items. Triangulate All button appears in the HOME tab by default. If one or several boundaries are selected, this button turns into Triangulate Within and the triangulation extends only within the selected boundary. A simplified version of the Triangulate Within button is also available in the Create group of the TOOLS tab.
Triangulate All is used when you need to create a surface item over the entire extent of your drone survey. When you need to create a surface item over a specific area of your drone survey defined by a boundary, use Triangulate Within. Before using those tools, it is necessary to have drawn the survey items that will define the surface topography like points, breaklines, boundaries...
- Make sure all relevant survey items are active.
- Select the boundary if you want to triangulate a specific area.
- Select the triangulation method.
- Click on Triangulate All / Within.
- The surface item is created.
Before launching the process, you have to select the triangulation method through the setting boxes available next to the Triangulate All button.
- 3D : All survey items elevation are taken into account to create the triangulated surface. Each point and polyline vertex becomes a surface point.
- Flat : A flat triangulated surface is created on the external items at the selected elevation.
- Flat - Minimum : A flat triangulated surface is created on the external items at the lowest elevation of the activated survey items.
- Triangulate a surface from breaklines and export the contour lines.
- Create a surface in an open canopy area from a Low Pass points grid.
- Create a Design surface from a 2D map.
- Create a 3D surface over specific part of the drone survey [Triangulate Within].
- Generate a reference surface for stockpile volume calculation [Triangulate Within].
- Make a road survey with section lines [Triangulate Within].
Tips and Tricks
- You can select multiple boundaries before launching the process to triangulate multiple areas at the same time. Press Ctrl to allow multiple selection.