Virtual Surveyor includes triangulation tools that allow the user to create surface from enabled survey items. The Triangulate All/Within tool creates a surface Triangulated Irregular Network (TIN).
The Triangulate All button appears in the HOME tab by default.
If one or several boundaries are selected, this button turns into Triangulate Within and the triangulation extends only within the selected boundary.
The Triangulate Within button is also available in the Create group of the TOOLS for Boundary tab.
Before using these tools, it is essential to draw and enable the survey items that define the surface topography using points, breaklines, and boundaries. Triangulate All is used when you want to create a surface item TIN over the entire extent of your drone survey. Use Triangulate Within when you want to create a TIN over a specific area surrounded by a boundary.
- Quick Usage Guide
- Examples of When You can Use the Triangulate All/Within Tool
- Tips and Tricks
Quick Usage Guide
- Make sure all relevant survey Project Items are active.
- (Optional) Select the boundary you want to triangulate within.
- Click on Triangulate All/Within.
- The surface (TIN) is created.
Examples of When You can Use the Triangulate All/Within Tool
Triangulate a Bare Earth Surface with Q-Points
Triangulate a Surface with a Low-Pass Points Grid
Triangulate a Surface from a 2D Map
Create a design surface from a 2D map.
Triangulate a 3D Surface
Create a 3D surface over specific part of the drone survey using Triangulate Within.
Triangulate a Stockpile Calculation
Generate a reference surface for stockpile calculation using Triangulate Within.
Road Survey with Section Lines
Make a road survey with section lines using Triangulate Within.
Tips and Tricks
- The triangulation tool creates a surface from all visible items in the Viewport.
- All survey points, line vertices, and boundary vertices are used to set the surface TIN vertices.
- You can select multiple boundaries before launching the process to triangulate multiple areas at the same time.
- When triangulating a surface for bare earth projects, Virtual Surveyor provides two ways you can optimize the initial surface to better fit the underlying Elevation Terrain.